Saturday, March 27, 2010

Return of the Ankh

I am just going to pretend that I've been writing in this blog all along. I have a cold. I probably got it while I was busy destroying Austin last week, during the citywide open bar known as SXSW. People keep asking me what bands I saw and I don't really know. That's not true, I saw about a million bands. Highlights were the Carolina Chocolate Drops (swoon), Hunx and the Punkettes, our friend's band Harlem, and a bunch of gay electronic music my friend B_ likes. The best show I saw was Major Lazer, where I got taken by the spirit and as a result danced myself free of my wallet, phone, and debit card. I got 2/3 back, and that ain't bad. I also went to this amazing Sissy Bounce show at a house, which was pretty sweet to see in person.



I love Austin because you can eat so many cheap foods that combine avocados and cheese out of trucks, and then get a cupcake from a truck for dessert. SXSW yall, it's a great thing. I got to see Joanna Newsom in NC on Thursday, and that was also ridiculously beautiful. Is this real life? I often wonder.

I was going to review the new Badu album, but it isn't out yet and I realized that even though I listened to it seven times since yesterday I still don't know exactly what I have to say about it. If you like her, you'll like the album. If you don't follow her, I have to say she is my favorite artist currently making music and I recommend everything she has ever recorded. In the video for Window Seat she takes off all of her clothes. Um, Erykah, haven't we talked about this?

No comments: